Out of respect for public health guidelines around the Covid-19 global pandemic, the Minnesota State Fair isn't happening this year.
The Miracle of Birth Center, the Grandstand, and the Food Building will be lifeless. Grass will grow untrampled. The Kidway and Mighty Midway will be rideless; no riders either. Ye Old Mill and the river rafts won't flow. The Space Tower, bungee catapult, and Sky Glider are grounded. And those animal buildings--all quiet and clean.
But with your pictures the crowd will still gather. We will keep the Fair alive in 2020!
The experiences of mingling with masses of Minnesotans amid an infinite range of foods, activities, animals, and entertainment during twelve days at the end of summer are essential to the Fair. Getting together on America's grandest fairground is a unique, democratic spectacle.
Over the years, photographs by amateurs and professionals have captured the energy of human encounters on the grounds. Snapshots capture the moment by moment discoveries that make the Fair so special.
Here's the deal.
- For $25--the price of admission, a corn dog (or Pronto Pup if you prefer), a tub of Sweet Martha's cookies, and a bottomless cup of milk--three of your photographs will enter the Virtual 2020 State Fair Photo Album.
- All paid submissions (PG-13 rated and consistent with the theme of pedestrian encounters) will mingle with the crowd. We would love to include photographs from many years of the Fair. How far back does your personal album go?
- Professionally-produced Virtual Fair "slideshows" will be screened in venues around the Twin Cities metro area and beyond.
- A public presentation is being arranged with the State Fair*; other locations for live screenings are in development. Stay tuned! All submitters will receive project updates, invitations and free entry to any ticketed events.
Images will be posted in a dedicated, publicly-accessible Flickr group as they arrive, and will appear in "souped up" presentations between August 27--what would have been Opening Day of the 2020 Fair--and Labor Day. Look for news and updates in your email!
Use the following Submittable form to take part. Please send your pictures (no more than three per $25 submission) before midnight on August 18. Thanks!
* Please note: The Minnesota State Fair is not affiliated with or responsible for the coordination or management of this project. Send all inquiries to George Slade, Project Director, email@example.com.